Are you unsure about carpet underlay? At Joe Walker’s Flooring, we believe that carpet underlay is a vital element of buying a new carpet, which is why we offer free underlay with every order. When it comes to finding the perfect carpet underlay for you, there are a few things you need to consider.
Why Should You Use Underlay?
While underlay is all to often overlooked, it is an integral part of determining how your new carpet feels underfoot. Underlay determines how your flooring feels, looks and wears, making it a key element in your flooring. But what can underlay do for your flooring and home?
- Add cushioning underfoot
- Acts as a shock absorber
- Creates a barrier against noise, aiding soundproofing
- Acts as an insulator, which can help you save money on energy bills
What Types of Underlay Are Available?
When it comes to finding the best carpet underlay for your home, there are a number of different types to choose from. The different types of underlay include:
- Polyurethane – available in a range of qualities, thicknesses and densities to suit all flooring types.
- Waffle – uses pockets of air to improve comfort underfoot and the longevity of your carpet.
- Crumb Rubber – this underlay is incredibly durable, making it ideal for high traffic areas such as hallways or stairs.
- Rubber – creates an incredibly luxurious feel underfoot, while acting as a great insulator and prolonging the life of your carpet.
- Low Thermal Resistance – a great choice of underlay if you have underfloor heating, the underlay allows heat to flow freely, increasing energy efficiency in your home.
While you may be familiar with tog rating when it comes to bedding, tog ratings are also important when it comes to finding the best carpet underlay for you. The tog rating of underlay is determined by the thickness, density and composition of the underlay, measuring the heat insulation of your underlay. If you have a conventional heating system in your home, a higher tog rating will provide a greater level of heat insulation. However, if you have underfloor heating, a lower tog will allow for better flow of heat energy. Check out our last post for more tips on how to choose the best carpet and underlay for you.
Carpet Underlay from Joe Walker’s Flooring
At Joe Walker’s Flooring, we offer free carpet underlay along with the best carpets Glasgow has to offer. Our expert team will help find the best carpet underlay for you to ensure that you make the most of your gorgeous new carpet. Get in touch today to find out more.